Whether you're a renter looking for assistance or a homeowner seeking support, African Communities Together is here to provide a curated list of resources to help you. Let's work together to make a positive impact on housing solutions for African immigrants!
We are excited to announce the launch of our Housing Survey, a critical initiative aimed at understanding the housing needs of the African immigrant community in Philadelphia and across Pennsylvania. Your support is invaluable in helping us gather essential knowledge that will guide our efforts in 2024 and drive new program initiatives.
Renting Resources: Pennsylvania
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Public Housing Agency
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
Contact a housing counseling agency - Want advice on renting ? The U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low cost advice. Search online for a housing counseling agency near you, or call HUD's interactive voice system at: (800) 569-4287
HUD Resource Locator - search for HUD offices, affordable housing, public housing agencies and homeless resources
Other Pennsylvania Resources
Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency - find out if you qualify for state-funded rental assistance programs
2-1-1 Infoline - rental housing search and assistance with housing issues
Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
- Housing counseling agencies - free or low-cost counseling services for buying, renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues and reverse mortgages
- Predatory lending - beware if you're buying or refinancing your home
Buying a Home
- Assistance programs - resources and programs to help you buy and maintain your home
- HUD homes for sale
- Homeownership vouchers - some public housing agencies help you become a homeowner through the Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership Program
Owning and Maintaining Your Home
- Home repairs - resources to help homeowners with home repairs and improvements.
- Whole-home repairs program agency list
- Avoid foreclosure - guidance on default and foreclosure prevention.
- Make your home more energy efficient - Find advice and get help to save money on utility bills
Other Pennsylvania Resources
- Housing resources for seniors
- Legal assistance
- Help with your utility bills
- Disaster relief and emergency assistance
- Health and environmental information - safeguard your home and family
- Rural housing programs
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency - programs and services that expand affordable housing opportunities
- Veterans Affairs (VA) properties for sale